One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A professional dance partner.
- ‘It replaced Fellini's waif-like Italian prostitute with the equally waif-like New York taxi dancer Charity Hope Valentine, whose day-to-day existence is sketched out right at the top of the show.’
- ‘He worked for a while as a taxi dancer (paid by the ‘ride’, or dance), and performed in dance exhibitions.’
- ‘She believes that Fowler has ruined Phuong's chances for respectable marriage, that her sister is doomed to return to her former life as a taxi dancer.’
- ‘Born in Italy in 1895, Valentino went to New York at the age of 18, where he earned his living at Maxim's as a taxi dancer - paid to dance with unaccompanied women.’
- ‘The Russian family of whom Natasha Richardson's character (Countess Sofia Belinsky) is a member has fallen on such hard times the others must depend on her income as a taxi dancer in louche clubs.’
- ‘When Ma and Pa Rockefeller object to young Jason miscegenating with the hired help, Nisa flees the mansion, taking a new job as a taxi dancer in a Hollywood sex club.’
- ‘Once a member of the aristocracy, she now lives in genteel poverty, working as a taxi dancer.’
- ‘Ruth Etting (Doris Day, Calamity Jane) is a young taxi dancer who wants to stop working the floor in sleazy Chicago night joints and make it to the stage.’
- ‘After a series of odd jobs, he became a taxi dancer and then an exhibition dancer in New York City.’
- ‘Some fellow students exhausted by the expertise of the taxi dancers even wanted to dance with me.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.