One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A circular label displayed on the windscreen of a motor vehicle, certifying payment of road tax.
- ‘Basically, I bought a stolen tax disc and a stolen MoT certificate, put them in my vehicle, got stopped by the police and then produced them.’
- ‘After discovering he had been clamped for not displaying a tax disc, the motorist snatched a spade from his van, smashed its windscreen and rear windows and slashed the tyres.’
- ‘And if you were caught without having a current tax disc decorating your windscreen, the Borough Council web site will enable you to make atonement for your sin to the tune of E60.’
- ‘The front number plate and the tax disc both contained the correct number.’
- ‘Charges of using a fraudulent tax disc, fraudulent registration mark, no test certificate and no insurance on the same date were also included.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.