One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A code number representing the tax-free part of an employee's income, assigned by tax authorities for use by employers in calculating the tax to be deducted under the PAYE system.
- ‘Employers and pension providers are told how much tax to deduct by your tax code.’
- ‘All employees, and many pensioners, should have a tax code.’
- ‘I haven't received any notification from the Inland Revenue, other than to tell me that my tax code has been amended.’
- ‘Why can't the mother's tax threshold be transferred to the father's tax code at least until children are of school age?’
- ‘Check with the Inland Revenue that your tax code is correct for your circumstances.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.