Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sum to be deducted from gross income in the calculation of taxable income.
- ‘The personal tax allowance which determines the income tax-paying threshold thus also provides a practical definition of such an official poverty line.’
- ‘There is no point getting a large tax allowance if you do not have the income to use it.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the government has been attempting to appease the protestors by extending its proposed tax allowance on fuel and is also preparing to help pensioners with their heating oil bills.’
- ‘Those who spend long periods working abroad should also take advantage of a special tax allowance for overseas income.’
- ‘It is little wonder the Conservatives have proposed, among alternative pension reforms, a catch-all rise in the tax allowance given to elderly people.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.