One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small Greek restaurant or cafe.
- ‘A string of restaurants ranging from fine dining through to a Greek taverna and a pizza terrace dot the seafront, with its classical views out to the island of Zakynthos.’
- ‘14th century Byzantine ramparts radiate from here, mostly overlooked by 20th century apartments, tavernas and cafes, yet it feels more like an overgrown village.’
- ‘Now it is a narrow, bustling thoroughfare of Greek tavernas and kebab shops.’
- ‘Visitors can expect high standards of accommodation, friendly locals, a good choice of restaurants, bars, tavernas, nightclubs and shopping.’
- ‘Step inside the restaurant and you'll be transported to a Greek taverna, as the wonderful aroma of Mediterranean cooking fills the air.’
Modern Greek, from Latin taberna (see tavern).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.