One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An amino acid containing sulphur and important in the metabolism of fats.
Chemical formula: NH₂CH₂CH₂SO₃H
- ‘The data suggest that taurine is an important neurochemical factor in the visual system.’
- ‘Homocysteine is either metabolized to the amino acids cysteine and taurine (trans-sulfuration) or recycled to methionine by taking on a methyl group (methylation).’
- ‘The downstream methionine metabolite taurine is necessary for amino acid and bile acid conjugation, and acylation reactions.’
- ‘Also, only the liver, pancreas, kidney, and intestine exhibit full activity of the trans-sulfuration pathway that metabolizes homocysteine to cysteine and taurine.’
- ‘Spiked with caffeine and taurine - an amino acid that increases the heart rate - its taste was like no other.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek tauros ‘bull’ (because it was originally obtained from ox bile) + -ine.
1Of or like a bull.‘moustaches like taurine horns’
cow-like, cattle-like, calf-likeView synonyms
- ‘Janecek et al. found an anomalous association of yak with taurine cattle, which was explained by the sampling of an animal descending from a zebu via the maternal lineage.’
- ‘The chief matador arms himself with two banderillas and proceeds to taunt the bull by himself assuming a taurine pose, banderillas poised above the head like horns.’
- ‘But the number of animals with the protective adaptation is dwindling, as local farmers give up their taurine herds for large zebu animals.’
- ‘Presumably, Hanotte said, trade also brought zebu bulls that farmers interbred with domesticated taurine cows, producing the mixed herds of today.’
- 1.1 Relating to bullfighting.‘taurine skill’
- ‘If you were to read the matadors' rankings and the corrida calendars in past issues of taurine magazines of the decade of the 80's, you would find very few names there of the matadors who have played a stellar role in the 1996 season.’
Early 17th century: from Latin taurinus, from taurus ‘bull’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.