One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Grey with a tinge of brown.as modifier ‘a taupe overcoat’
pale, pastel, light-tonedView synonyms
- ‘The colour taupe is perfect for grey or blonde hair.’
- ‘For a subtle look, use a slightly darker or lighter hue of the main color (i.e. beige and taupe, navy and royal blue, purple and violet).’
- ‘This season, however, earthy tones such as brown, taupe and khaki green are also making a presence.’
- ‘Along with taupe and chocolate brown, one of this season's hottest shades is a muted heather (lavender with a bit of gray).’
- ‘There are bolts of taupe fabric draped on the windows, and the lighting is muted.’
Early 20th century: from French, literally ‘mole, moleskin’, from Latin talpa.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.