One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
People who are not Maori, especially non-indigenous New Zealanders.‘the treaty sought not to offend tauiwi’
- ‘The second part of the question asked who those tauiwi were.’
- ‘I am a Chinese New Zealander, I am Asian tauiwi, my parents are from Malaysia and my ancestors from China.’
- ‘Tauiwi have stated that the actions of this government have placed increased tension on race relations.’
- ‘The group seeks to facilitate discussion around such topics as land claims, Maori sovereignty, conflict resolution, and the future of Maori/tauiwi relations.’
- ‘Such positioning serves to identify tauiwi alongside Maori in the matter of sovereignty.’
- ‘The treaty was not ratified in domestic law, making it inconsequential for tauiwi.’
- ‘I have to inform him that tauiwi are quite different from Maori—indeed, they are actual opposites.’
- ‘The integration of Maori, Pakeha, and tauiwi means that tribal jurisdiction might be very difficult.’
- ‘Accounting for responsibility by invoking a third party repositions both Maori and tauiwi as victims of repressive colonial rule.’
- ‘A number of us here, obviously, have to put up our hands and admit to being tauiwi.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.