Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of meal offered in certain restaurants, consisting of sample portions of many different dishes served in several courses for a set price.
- ‘A tasting menu featuring three different ports was a steal at $9.’
- ‘The six-course tasting menu improves your odds of experiencing this fascinating chef at his best.’
- ‘Dinner that night was a tasting menu at the hotel restaurant, Pimms.’
- ‘Offered between courses, small food serves as a makeshift tasting menu and has additional virtues that shouldn't go unnoticed, as well.’
- ‘For a healthful culinary tour of the subcontinent, try the vegetarian tasting menu.’
- ‘We chose the slightly cheaper of the two tasting menus, at £ 48 for five courses.’
- ‘Try the tasting menu, at £ 48 per head without wine or £ 68 with a selection of wines.’
- ‘There's also an inspirational tasting menu, of course, which is also a surprise.’
- ‘His chocolate tasting menu, a robust replacement to the spring-summer fish tasting, is now a signature.’
- ‘When we ordered the tasting menus for ourselves, Clotilde asked me if I wanted to do the wine pairing.’
- ‘I opt for a "tasting menu" which means I get to sample all the signature dishes of Chef Suvir.’
- ‘His tasting menus are assault courses for the taste buds, a boot camp for the mouth.’
- ‘We use this recipe a lot in our tasting menu, where it is very popular.’
- ‘Some chefs sell merchandise or match wines with their tasting menus to boost profits.’
- ‘One major plus of the hotel is its Le Cinq restaurant, where even the locals book ahead to tackle the gargantuan tasting menu.’
- ‘Menu features both A la carte and nightly chef's tasting menu as an option offering chef's own seven-course delights.’
- ‘For an appetizer, I enjoyed a nice piece of sturgeon off the chef's tasting menu, covered with a light crème fraîche sauce folded with more caviar.’
- ‘I am equally used to tasting menus, and the point of a tasting menu is to be balanced, and to be a pleasure, not an ordeal.’
- ‘The true test of a restaurant's dessert mettle is the dessert tasting menu.’
- ‘When upscale restaurants in Los Angeles and New York City start offering discounted tasting menus, you know times have gotten tough for the food industry.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.