One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small cup.
- ‘The demon drink is made almost respectable by giving it a friendly name - the amber nectar, the frothing bumper or the silver tassie, the blushful Hippocrene with beaded bubbles winking at the brim.’
Late 18th century: from tass + -ie.
1Tasmania.‘I moved from Sydney down to Tassie three years ago’
- ‘After three and a half years in the job, the well-known couple decided to move to Tassie for family reasons.’
- ‘Somewhere north of Cooktown would be nice and warm, after his winter in Tassie.’
- ‘Extinction's not a new thing to Tassie, in fact we're probably due for one if you look at the time line of extinctions that have occurred.’
- ‘While crossing the 1200m Pelion Gap, below Mt Ossa, Tassie's highest mountain, Shaggy's hiking group got hit by a blizzard, hurling down the full box and dice of sleet, hail, snow and rain.’
- ‘Coming from tropical weather and constant sunshine was a shock for me; it was all four seasons down here in Tassie.’
- ‘Jon Hizzard lives on Flinder's Island, just off the windy northeast tip of Tassie.’
- ‘Potatoes are Tassie's most important vegetable with production nudging half a million tonnes a year, a third of Australia's total.’
- ‘"We're very excited when people are passionate about going to Tassie," said Penne. "We want to help musicians tour regional areas".’
- ‘A string of conservation campaigns publicized Tassie as Australia's ultimate natural escape - an Eden for "greenies."’
- ‘I was born and raised in Tassie, leaving in 1990, but my parents still live there.’
- 1.1 A person from Tasmania.‘I'm a Queenslander—not sure if there are any Tassies here’
- ‘Curiously, despite the frequent cold, Tasmanian shoppers are the most prolific ice cream buyers: around 64 per cent of Tassies buy a tub each month.’
- ‘Bruce, a Tassie from Hobart, invited me to his home and he was so kind to pick me up at the airport.’
- ‘We have more Dutch in the last 5 generations than English, though considering we're Tassies that's no great surprise.’
Tasmanian.‘the Tassie government’‘barbecued Tassie salmon’‘his Tassy mates’
- ‘Now that Paul Lennon is obviously in an extremely benevolent frame of mind does this mean a massive pay rise for the Tassie workforce?’
- ‘'Starting the football year in Tasmania against Collingwood is a huge highlight for our Tassie fans,' Fox said.’
- ‘The gaming machine debate has been re-ignited in Tasmania as the wrong numbers come up on Tassie pokies.’
- ‘There will be a Tassie forest strategy meeting at 5.30 pm, food from 6.30 pm, films from 7.30 pm and live music to follow.’
- ‘I haven't checked up on Tassie coverage for a while, but I presume that all the greater Hobart area has decent LTE?’
- ‘Little Rivers Brewing Company opened in February and has quickly gained the support of Tassie beer swillers.’
- ‘Angus had already poured his first glass of Tassie sauvignon blanc as we surveyed the 270-degree sweep of the ocean from the lodge's deck.’
- ‘It looks like the Greek twins and Tassie besties Thalia and Bianca have some competition.’
- ‘As wedding season gets under way, two Tassie brides have shown you don't have to spend a fortune for a memorable day.’
- ‘As a young Tassie boy, I first heard of the Rabbitohs watching Don Lane on late night television.’
Late 19th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.