One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large one-sided Indian goatskin drum, typically hung from the neck and played with two sticks.
- ‘When the festival of Hosay came round, Tanker would visit the neighbouring district of St James and listen to the tassa drums rolling.’
- ‘They were followed by a presentation of traditional Native American Indian mas which accompanied themselves with a tassa drum section.’
- ‘So we decided to play and sing the music, but we added the tassa drums in the background, and the crowd went crazy.’
- ‘But among the more dramatic changes evident this year was the use of a new type of tassa drum, one that avoided both the clay bowl and goatskin-playing-surface of the traditional model.’
- ‘With little time left, Drupatee, with tassa drums in tow, sang Real Unity, which was followed by Farmer Nappy's struggle to encourage energy for his solo project Pure Niceness.’
Tassa from Hindi.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.