Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A weapon firing barbs attached by wires to batteries, causing temporary paralysis.
- ‘Women in Baton Rouge are taking self-defense courses, arming themselves with tasers, pepper spray and mace.’
- ‘There was pepper spray, tasers, stun guns, and you know, stuff like that.’
- ‘I strongly urge you to learn martial arts, and to find out the law about carrying mace/pepper spray, and/or an electric taser.’
- ‘The weapon was a taser, a stun gun that temporarily numbs your body with 50,000 volts of energy.’
- ‘If you want to arm pilots, it would be much smarter to give them billy clubs or tasers.’
Fire a taser at (someone) in order to incapacitate them temporarily.
- ‘The police must have felt overwhelmed and would naturally need to taser the groom or risk having to use deadly force instead.’
- ‘I got pepper sprayed and tasered.’
- ‘During protests over the past two days, at least a few students were tasered.’
- ‘According to witnesses, Grant had his hands in the air and was saying to police, "Please don't taser me."’
- ‘And hey, if they get out of line, they can always taser them into submission.’
- ‘So she reached to taser him, but accidentally grabbed her gun instead and sort of shot the guy.’
- ‘Get out of the car, if you walk, otherwise I'm going to taser you.’
- ‘The deputies say they decided to taser the man after he pulled a knife on him.’
- ‘At least they didn't taser anyone.’
- ‘Why would police taser a blind woman in her own home?’
- ‘This year, after a 16-year-old was hit by a speeding police car, with no sirens or flashing lights, her distraught boyfriend was tasered.’
1970s: from the initial letters of Tom Swift's electric rifle (a fictitious weapon), on the pattern of laser.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.