A yellowish sea bream of warm shallow inshore waters, which is an important food and game fish in the Indo-Pacific.
- ‘The Cut at Dawesville is producing big herring, a few skippy, whiting and tarwhine.’
- ‘A piece of prawn or squid bait will attract bites from not only the king george but also sand whiting, herring, tarwhine and flathead.’
- ‘The tarwhine can be caught in all places where there are black bream.’
- ‘Black crabs or rock crabs, if you can catch them, have been attracting some nice size tarwhine around the rocks as well.’
- ‘The only other fish to be weighed in were 5 herring, one tarwhine and a few whiting, pretty meager pickings.’
Late 19th century: from Dharuk darawayn a fish.