Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of upside-down apple tart consisting of pastry baked over slices of fruit arranged in caramelized sugar, served fruit side up after cooking.
- ‘And mango-and-banana tarte Tatin with fromage blanc sorbet deserves a page in a cookbook.’
- ‘Place a fig tarte Tatin in the center of plate.’
- ‘For the fig tarte Tatin: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and arrange six 4-inch non-stick tart molds on a sheet pan.’
- ‘Cheese nuts will enjoy the cheesecakelike fromage blanc island, although my favorite was the button-size apple tarte Tatin, served with apple-green shavings of granita and a pinkish peppercorn ice cream.’
- ‘Place a tarte Tatin on one end of a large rectangular plate.’
French, from tarte tart + Tatin, the surname of the sisters said to have created the dish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.