One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A toxic compound used in treating protozoal disease in animals, as a mordant in dyeing, and formerly as an emetic.
- ‘The preferred thripsicide is tartar emetic which has the chemical name potassium antimony tartrate.’
- ‘An experimental group of 50 male and 50 female rats was administered 5 ppm potassium antimony tartrate in water.’
- ‘He identified the label found at the prisoner's house as that which he had placed on the tartar emetic then purchased.’
- ‘Brahmachari decided to improve the results over tartar emetic by using the sodium salt of antimonyl tartrate instead of the potassium salt.’
- ‘We had taken out a lot of simple medicines for our own needs, consisting for the most part of calomel, quinine, and tartar emetic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.