One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to the tarsus.‘the tarsal claws of beetles’
- ‘These areas include the plantar fascia, ankle joint, tarsal tunnel, interdigital space, and first metatarsophalangeal joint.’
- ‘The ectopic leg has several segments and terminates in a set of tarsal claws.’
- ‘In the most severe cases, the distal tips of the maxillary and labial palps are transformed to tarsal claws.’
- ‘The lateral terminal branch of the deep peroneal nerve sends fibers to the extensor digitorum brevis muscle and articular twigs to the tarsal joints.’
- ‘Since the joint capsules and ligaments play a crucial role in the kinematics of the tarsal joints, they cannot be stripped away with impunity.’
A bone of the tarsus.
- ‘The tarsals of giraffes consist of only four bones: calcaneum, astragulus, fused navicular and cuboid, fused cuneiforms.’
- ‘The postcranial skeleton, and especially the vertebrae, carpals and tarsals, were very slow to ossify.’
- ‘We digitized the pelvis, femur, tibia, fibula, astragalus, calcaneum, distal tarsals, and metatarsals II-IV.’
- ‘Lungs are well developed, teeth are blade-like, carpal and tarsals ossified in adults, and the diploid number is 28.’
- ‘The preserved tarsal bones include the astragalus, calcaneum, and fourth and questionable fifth distal tarsals.’
Early 19th century: from tarsus + -al.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.