One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tarpaulin sheet or cover.
- ‘They added outfield bleacher seats, a batting cage, and tarps to cover the field.’
- ‘In the panic that followed the flooding, disorganized camps consisting mainly of tarps and plastic sheets had sprung up anywhere dry land was left among the rising waters.’
- ‘The tarps are used to cover storm-damaged roofs.’
- ‘A sea of tarps and camping chairs cover the field in front of the main stage.’
- ‘Some used plastic bags and tarps to create makeshift covers for their rockets, keeping them from being exposed to the rain for as long as possible before launch.’
- ‘Use tarps as ground cloths and to cover up gear from dew and rain.’
- ‘We've lost a number of potted plants, tarps and firewood covers over the years.’
- ‘The second tarp covering the cart is dusted with tiny needlelike ice crystals.’
- ‘All meals are cooked over a campfire and every night is spent beneath a tarp.’
- ‘Everywhere she looked were piles of books, tarps covering crates and furniture, old chests, and a conglomeration of junk and useful items.’
- ‘With a flair beyond his scholarly appearance, the Professor swept around the room pulling tarps and covers off of the machinery.’
- ‘The stage is half-soaked from blowing rain; the tarps covering the drums and percussion are all pretty wet.’
- ‘By the time they were hovering over the site, everyone had cleared away from that side of the buildings and covered the remaining outdoor equipment with tarps.’
- ‘Tents that house up to 10 people at a time are made of plastic tarps, metal sheeting, or bamboo - they provide shelter to refugees for months, or sometimes even years.’
- ‘The coach, wrapped in blue tarps, was pulled from the deep tunnel at the Edgware Road subway station.’
- ‘The furniture was covered with tarps and being moved to the basement of the building, as word was the new tenant already had furniture.’
- ‘Where possible, the heaters and enclosures were left in place during the concrete placement, and in all cases the concrete was covered with insulated tarps after placement.’
- ‘Drove by this morning and it was going strong with a big tarp up to cover the area.’
- ‘In the park we were met by stalls and music and families and groups on friends on blue tarps drinking and picnicking under blossom covered trees.’
- ‘Even if you have a fitted boat cover, consider adding a tarp over it to protect the cover from bird droppings or other damage.’
Early 20th century: abbreviation.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.