A forward in a central position to whom other players direct long passes.
- ‘He favours a central target man, two wide players, and an offensive midfielder who can play in the hole.’
- ‘He is not really a natural target man as such, but he is a good footballer with a good football brain.’
- ‘The winner came eight minutes from time when Barry McLaughlin, just inside the opposing half and almost on the touchline, hammered a long ball to the target man, who was stationed, and stationary, beyond the back post.’
- ‘If they're going to play a huge front five, they need to have a stand-up centre to give them a target man.’
- ‘He can play as an out-and-out forward or drop off and play as a target man behind him.’