One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volatile oil obtained by distilling tar, sometimes used as an insecticide.
- ‘An old gardening book of mine suggests using lindane or malathion, or painting with 10 percent tar oil, but none of the above products is available.’
- ‘Its fungicidal properties are some of the well-known properties of tar oil derivatives such as creosote, do you agree?’
- ‘This should be done as soon as possible using a winter tar oil wash.’
- ‘The planned Canadian natural gas pipeline will have part of its natural gas going toward tar oil extraction.’
- ‘He was awarded his Ph.D. at Capetown University for his thesis on the reaction of oxygen with tars and tar oils.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.