Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A volatile oil obtained by distilling tar, sometimes used as an insecticide.
- ‘The planned Canadian natural gas pipeline will have part of its natural gas going toward tar oil extraction.’
- ‘This should be done as soon as possible using a winter tar oil wash.’
- ‘An old gardening book of mine suggests using lindane or malathion, or painting with 10 percent tar oil, but none of the above products is available.’
- ‘Its fungicidal properties are some of the well-known properties of tar oil derivatives such as creosote, do you agree?’
- ‘He was awarded his Ph.D. at Capetown University for his thesis on the reaction of oxygen with tars and tar oils.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.