One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Mexican dish consisting of a small tortilla that is rolled around a filling of meat and cheese and then fried.‘the fantastic taquitos and burritos have made this family-run establishment a favourite for three generations’
- ‘It's worth noting that in today's American food service world, probably none of the Spanish language terms used in the above paragraph (tacos, taquitos, quesadilla) are unfamiliar.’
- ‘Sustenance can be found at the resort's oceanfront Sea Grill, which features an antojitos("little desires") menu of miniature empanadas, taquitos and other Mexican favorites ($8-$12).’
- ‘The scariest—two taquitos and one quesadilla—racks up 2,000 calories.’
- ‘Other appealing appetizers included thick slabs of tender grilled calamari "steaks"; three taquitos, the crisp tortillas wrapping a filling of wonderfully cool fresh tuna, avocado and salsa, an inspired Mexican-Japanese combination; and delectable, slightly smoky, grilled octopus scented by fresh oregano.’
- ‘A flauta is rolled and a taquito is served flat over lettuce.’
- ‘I recently did $10,000 worth of damage to our kitchen making a round of Soy Taquitos (the oil splattered, the smoke alarm didn't go off! no one was hurt!).’
- ‘The taquitos ($8.49), a rolled, hard corn taco, were kind of like a Mexican spring roll.’
- ‘The menu has around 30 items, beginning with appetizers with quesadillas, taquitos, nachos and tequila wings, or you can order a sampler with all of them.’
- ‘And watch out for the Combos, which add chips and beans to two tacos, three taquitos, or one burrito plus taco.’
- ‘Hernandez first learned to love chiles rellenos and taquitos with salsa verde as a child in El Salvador, tagging along to Mexican restaurants with her father.’
- ‘Children can choose from a three-cheese quesadilla, chicken or beef taco, crispy nachos, chicken tenders and cheese taquitos.’
- ‘On the daily menu, the appetizer list grows to include jalapeno poppers, quesadillas, and even a large sampler platter (chicken wings, taquitos, quesadillas and much more).’
- ‘A rail-thin woman buys four packs of crackers, two Go-Go Taquitos and a breakfast sandwich.’
- ‘On Fridays they bring in free taquitos from Mama's restaurant next door.’
- ‘I always seem to get the chicken taquitos, which are delicious.’
- ‘The first dish we tried was our favorite: an appetizer of six beef taquitos ($6), corn tortillas tightly wrapped around seasoned beef and cheese, deep-fried without leaving a greasy residue, and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.’
American Spanish, diminutive of taco.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.