One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Maori ceremony or ritual of spiritual cleansing and blessing performed to remove tapu.‘a priest carried out the cultural process of tapu lifting when the scene examination was complete’
- ‘Just two months ago, it held an extensive decommissioning ceremony for the 111-year-old prison, involving blessings, a tapu lifting, and flute playing.’
- ‘If you attend a cultural night, you’re treated to expert guides, a tapu lifting, a warrior welcome, and a feast cooked in a traditional underground oven.’
- ‘There is no consistency on when the tapu lifting is done, and often the institute has not been informed beforehand.’
- ‘The opening began with a dawn dedication ceremony and tapu lifting by local elders.’
- ‘The reverend is working with police to ensure that the cultural process of tapu lifting is carried out correctly.’
- ‘Some believe that prior to a tapu lifting, only men should be allowed to work on a public building.’
- ‘The memorial with the Maori canoe symbolises the tapu lifting and bringing the spirits of those who died in Vietnam home to rest with family.’
- ‘We sang, and we had the tapu lifting.’
- ‘He performed the ritual blessing and tapu lifting on the new Korean Embassy in Wellington.’
- ‘Maori tikanga makes provisions for tapu lifting, and in many iwi, women traditionally had a key role in the ceremonies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.