One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the Indian subcontinent) a delivery of mail.
post, letters, packages, parcels, correspondence, communications, airmailView synonyms
- ‘The Tappal from Trincomalie reaches there on all other days at three or four o'clock.’
- ‘The conveyance of official papers form three-fourths of the mail conveyed by tappal.’
- ‘They had to establish a tappal of their own, up and down the works between Madras and Beypoor.’
- ‘The tappal runs very irregularly from Poonah to the Kistna.’
- ‘A packet of six English newspapers would be above the weight allowed to go by tappal.’
Late 18th century: origin unknown.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.