One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short folk song of northern Indian origin.
- ‘‘Thumris’, ‘chaitis’ and ‘tappas’, with a rich folk and classical base, under the music direction of the creative genius, Vanraj Bhatia, took filmgoers to another era.’
- ‘I sang one of my favourites: a rare tappa in raga Jangla set to ada-chautal and I invited her to dance to a tappa.’
- ‘Though her tappa could not rise above the average, she made it up with moving rendering of thumri, kajri and bhajan.’
- ‘In Punjab, this folk song was known as 'dhapa', which was transformed into the Hindi Tappa.’
- ‘Tappa is believed to be originally sung by the camel riders in the desert region.’
From Hindi ṭappā.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.