One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A parasitic flatworm, the adult of which lives in the intestines. It has a long ribbon-like body with many segments that can become independent, and a small head bearing hooks and suckers.
- ‘An abundance of parasites, such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, nematodes, tapeworms, and the larvae of flies, wasps, and moths, are known to infect bumblebees.’
- ‘Another trick used by chimps is to swallow bristly leaves whole, which irritate their stomachs and induce diarrhoea, flushing out tapeworms and other gut parasites.’
- ‘They range in size from single cells, like the malaria parasite, to tapeworms which may reach thirty feet in length and hence are not microscopic at all!’
- ‘The gravid segment of the adult tapeworm breaks off and disintegrates in the large bowel, releasing hundreds of infective eggs, which then pass out with the feces.’
- ‘Roundworms, tapeworms, and hookworms most commonly infect cats.’
- ‘The most common helminths are tapeworms and roundworms.’
- ‘Humans are exploited by adult tapeworms as a definitive host.’
- ‘In the adult phase, the tapeworm lives in the intestines of the dog who is the so-called ‘definitive’ host.’
- ‘Owners need to have their pets microchipped, vaccinated against rabies, blood tested, treated against ticks and tapeworms and issued with a certificate.’
- ‘The cestodes, or tapeworms, differ in a number of ways from other flatworms.’
- ‘They then attach to the jejunal wall and approximately 3 months later grow into the adult tapeworm.’
- ‘Cysticercosis develops when individuals ingest food or water contaminated with eggs expelled by subjects harboring the adult tapeworm.’
- ‘"Pathogenic macroparasites, like tapeworms, have parasitized the world's vertebrates and invertebrates for millions of years, " he says.’
- ‘With the exception of the three taeniid tapeworms that are specific to humans, adult tapeworms in this study commonly live in the intestines of carnivores such as lions, hyenas or African wild dogs.’
- ‘Hydatid disease in humans is caused by the dog tapeworm, Echinococcus granulosus.’
- ‘Vitamin B-12 deficiency can also be caused by a tapeworm ingested from contaminated fish, because the tapeworm saps nutrients from your body.’
- ‘The house fly is also the intermediate host for some roundworms and tapeworms of poultry.’
- ‘This worm is a microscopic tapeworm that is often found in dogs and common livestock, especially sheep.’
- ‘They made their biggest discovery in the mummy's intestine where they found the microscopic eggs of a salmon tapeworm.’
- ‘The women seem to be afflicted with tapeworm or tapeworms.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.