One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An apparatus for recording sounds on magnetic tape and afterwards reproducing them.
- ‘When my tape recorder broke down, she knew who had a tape recorder and offered to borrow it for me.’
- ‘I was also always the guy in the band with the tape recorder recording rehearsals and gigs.’
- ‘Next you will want to get some cables to connect up your tape recorder and other audio equipment.’
- ‘Of course the reporter, being a good reporter, had his tape recorder going.’
- ‘The drummer didn't tell me to turn off the tape recorder, nor did he ask me not to print his remark.’
- ‘The table was littered with coffee cups, half-full ashtrays, the daily papers and a tape recorder.’
- ‘The group leader was given an honorarium to lead and administer the groups and operate the tape recorder.’
- ‘The output was recorded on a stereo tape recorder, and they listened in with earphones.’
- ‘The tape recorder was great because I could record TV programmes while I was out.’
- ‘If you set a tape recorder running at a noisy party you would most likely hear something resembling a confused babble.’
- ‘He cracked a couple of jokes, plonked himself into a large armchair and offered to shout to ensure that my tape recorder could hear him.’
- ‘With techno music blaring from a tape recorder, the pub's clientele could hardly contain themselves.’
- ‘With tape recorder and notebook, she sits with them and records their language.’
- ‘Remember the old spy movies where any gadget could be fit inside a pen, be it a tape recorder, a radio or a bomb?’
- ‘I usually manage to jump up, get a tape recorder and get it down.’
- ‘She brought her tape recorder too, in hopes that she could get something out of her today.’
- ‘He fished a tape recorder from his jeans pocket and put it on the table between him and the two women.’
- ‘You no more understand the words coming out of your mouth than a tape recorder understands the words coming out of its loudspeaker.’
- ‘Upon receiving them from him, she would plug in her tape recorder, clip on her microphone and go to it.’
- ‘Armed with an early tape recorder he set about recording the folk songs and stories that many believed had disappeared.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.