One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Extraneous high-frequency background noise during the playing of a tape recording.
- ‘I didn't have any problem deciphering any of the dialogue, but there's a significant tape hiss droning along in the background, and the score sounds as though it was recorded in the bottom of an empty cookie jar.’
- ‘Once hidden by analog tape hiss, the noise of vintage devices may be excessive by digital's standards, leading older gear to fall off of the ledge of acceptability.’
- ‘It should also be noted that the track is also free of most background distortions like pops and tape hiss.’
- ‘Background distortions are minimal, with very few traces of tape hiss or sound pops.’
- ‘‘Those kids are gone’ is acoustic folk pop piped through a severely overloaded microphone and choked by tape hiss.’
- ‘To gain some clarity on muffled vocals, try boosting between 5 and 8 kHz, but not too much, because the EQ will also accentuate any tape hiss.’
- ‘There are no major defects located within the soundtrack, but there is some evidence of the lifelong side effect of analog recording: tape hiss.’
- ‘Distortion is held to a minimum with little in the way of tape hiss or popping to annoy.’
- ‘Sound quality, apart from the usual tape hiss is excellent.’
- ‘Some light hiss does remain - tape hiss will never completely disappear from many analog recordings - but it is never a bother.’
- ‘Older features sometimes have a problem with tape hiss and other problems plaguing analog recordings, but I am happy to report that it is completely audible.’
- ‘They create digital recordings, which lack the tape hiss that used to plague cassette recordings.’
- ‘The incessant sound of tape hiss is present throughout the feature and dialogue (in German with very shaky English subtitles) is often difficult to hear.’
- ‘Free of annoying background noise like tape hiss and popping, dialogue is easy to understand and the film's forgettable score remains clearly so.’
- ‘Some (myself included) found the manic abandon of their songwriting mixed with nominal tape hiss charming.’
- ‘Also missing is any kind of audio quality cleanup software to help reduce or eliminate snaps, crackles and pops from LP recordings, and a utility to reduce tape hiss that dogs almost all cassette recordings.’
- ‘The sound still has a bit of tape hiss (either that, or it's very bright acoustic), but that shouldn't stop you.’
- ‘The transfer to CD is quite fine, if a little constricted sonically, judged by present-day standards, with a bit of tape hiss on the archival material.’
- ‘No tape hiss is present, but that's a problem that is virtually non-existent in the digital recording world.’
- ‘If there is a weakness, it is that some tape hiss does come through during quiet stretches of the soundtrack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.