Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] An obsessive desire to acquire and maintain a suntan, by natural or artificial methods.‘she is one of a growing number of teenagers thought to be suffering from tanorexia’
- ‘People with tanorexia have tanned skin but look into the mirror and see themselves as too pale.’
- ‘But was I secretly suffering from an acute case of tanorexia, only just managing to keep my inner torment under control with the help of factor 2 carrot oil?’
- ‘Assuming that you don't have tanorexiaa compulsion marked by frequent trips to the tanning boothyou have every reason to feel optimistic about your skin.’
- ‘And for the first time I began to miss my old life, my old self-obsessed, narcissistic, no room-for-anyone-else-but-me kind of life filled with my own depressing issues of self-hate, loneliness and tanorexia.’
- ‘These days there is even a term for tan addiction - tanorexia - because of the amount of young people putting themselves at risk.’
- ‘Tony, who is now 15, is one of a growing number of teenagers thought to be suffering from tanorexia.’
1980s: blend of tan and anorexia.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.