Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small language family comprising a number of Pueblo Indian languages.
- ‘The other Texas tribe that probably spoke Tiwa or a form of Tanoan are the Jumano.’
- ‘This is amply evidenced by both North American languages (such as Sierra Miwok and Tanoan) and Papuan New Guinean languages (such as Kewa and Yimas).’
- ‘The Zuñi language may be connected with Tanoan, falling within the Aztec-Tanoan linguistic stock.’
Relating to the Tanoan language family.
- ‘He was of the belief that the Tanoan family is a remote branch of the Shoshonean, but thus far the relationship has not been definitively shown.’
- ‘All other Pueblo languages are classified within the Aztec-Tanoan Phylum: within the Kiowa-Tanoan family are three Tanoan languages, Tiwa, Tewa, and Towa; the Hopi language is an isolate within the Uto-Aztecan family; and Keresan is an unclassified language isolate not yet assigned to any family within the phylum.’
- ‘Contents also include a song, notes about the Kiowa and Tanoan Indians, information about articles for American Anthropologist, requests for information from various books about Indians, and a National Certificate from the Cherokee Nation.’
- ‘The Aztec-Tanoan phylum consists of two families: the Tanoan (Kiowa-Tanoan) family with three languages in the Southwest, including those spoken by the Taos and the Santa Clara, and one language in the Plains (Kiowa); and the Uto-Aztecan family, with about a score of languages spoken from the Plateau and California into Meso-America, with relatively late extensions into the Plains.’
- ‘Their name for themselves is ‘Tuei’ and they speak southern Tiwa, a Tanoan language.’
From Spanish Tano + -an.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.