One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small language family comprising a number of Pueblo Indian languages.
- ‘The other Texas tribe that probably spoke Tiwa or a form of Tanoan are the Jumano.’
- ‘This is amply evidenced by both North American languages (such as Sierra Miwok and Tanoan) and Papuan New Guinean languages (such as Kewa and Yimas).’
- ‘The Zuñi language may be connected with Tanoan, falling within the Aztec-Tanoan linguistic stock.’
Relating to the Tanoan language family.
- ‘He was of the belief that the Tanoan family is a remote branch of the Shoshonean, but thus far the relationship has not been definitively shown.’
- ‘All other Pueblo languages are classified within the Aztec-Tanoan Phylum: within the Kiowa-Tanoan family are three Tanoan languages, Tiwa, Tewa, and Towa; the Hopi language is an isolate within the Uto-Aztecan family; and Keresan is an unclassified language isolate not yet assigned to any family within the phylum.’
- ‘Their name for themselves is ‘Tuei’ and they speak southern Tiwa, a Tanoan language.’
- ‘The Aztec-Tanoan phylum consists of two families: the Tanoan (Kiowa-Tanoan) family with three languages in the Southwest, including those spoken by the Taos and the Santa Clara, and one language in the Plains (Kiowa); and the Uto-Aztecan family, with about a score of languages spoken from the Plateau and California into Meso-America, with relatively late extensions into the Plains.’
- ‘Contents also include a song, notes about the Kiowa and Tanoan Indians, information about articles for American Anthropologist, requests for information from various books about Indians, and a National Certificate from the Cherokee Nation.’
From Spanish Tano + -an.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.