One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of public address system.
- ‘Even festive songs are being played over the tannoy.’
- ‘A message comes over the tannoy, ‘There are no southbound services on the tube line at the moment’.’
- ‘‘This is your captain speaking,’ said a disembodied voice over the tannoy.’
- ‘The train driver explained the situation over the tannoy, adding that it might be some consolation to us to know that the safety equipment works.’
- ‘But when we got off the plane at Heathrow on our way home we heard our names being called over the tannoy.’
Transmit or announce over a tannoy.‘the news was tannoyed one afternoon’
- ‘They tannoyed that we would honour 2 minutes silence at 11am and 2 of their workers were merrily walking down the aisle talking to each other.’
- ‘The leads were stunning (their names were tannoyed through at the beginning of the performance, in Dutch and before I realized what was going on it was already to late): effortless dancing, impeccable technique (such balances) and passion galore.’
- ‘He has taken to tannoying terms of endearment to his publicity officer.’
- ‘Our picture producers will tannoy a warning when gruesome pictures are expected - and an e-mail will be sent out to all relevant newsdesks.’
- ‘I went back in store, someone tannoyed his No plate.’
1920s: contraction of tantalum alloy, which is used as a rectifier in the system.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.