Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A type of public address system.
- ‘The train driver explained the situation over the tannoy, adding that it might be some consolation to us to know that the safety equipment works.’
- ‘‘This is your captain speaking,’ said a disembodied voice over the tannoy.’
- ‘A message comes over the tannoy, ‘There are no southbound services on the tube line at the moment’.’
- ‘Even festive songs are being played over the tannoy.’
- ‘But when we got off the plane at Heathrow on our way home we heard our names being called over the tannoy.’
Transmit or announce over a tannoy.‘the news was tannoyed one afternoon’
- ‘The leads were stunning (their names were tannoyed through at the beginning of the performance, in Dutch and before I realized what was going on it was already to late): effortless dancing, impeccable technique (such balances) and passion galore.’
- ‘He has taken to tannoying terms of endearment to his publicity officer.’
- ‘I went back in store, someone tannoyed his No plate.’
- ‘Our picture producers will tannoy a warning when gruesome pictures are expected - and an e-mail will be sent out to all relevant newsdesks.’
- ‘They tannoyed that we would honour 2 minutes silence at 11am and 2 of their workers were merrily walking down the aisle talking to each other.’
1920s: contraction of tantalum alloy, which is used as a rectifier in the system.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.