Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having a strong, piquant flavour or smell.‘a tangy salad’
sharp-flavoured, sharp, zesty, acid, acidic, tart, sour, bitter, harsh, biting, piquant, spicy, tasty, flavoursome, pungentView synonyms
- ‘My chicken curry looked appetising and the sauce was suitably tangy, with a welcome kick mellowed by the flavour of lime.’
- ‘Two large wedges of cheese nestled among a salad of mixed leaves on a tangy raspberry sauce.’
- ‘As the door opened and closed I could smell warmth and food and smoke on the tangy sea air.’
- ‘The soft clam absorbed much of the tangy, garlic flavour, but was not so savoury.’
- ‘The beef was tender and combined well with the tangy sharpness of the black bean and lengths of spring onion.’
- ‘The result is a soft-textured, juicy length of cassava with a tangy flavour.’
- ‘There was also a somewhat spicy red sauce on the side, adding to the fresh, tangy flavours.’
- ‘I chose the tabbouleh salad, a tangy mixture of tomatoes, onions, parsley and couscous.’
- ‘Poured over them was a very tasty, tangy barbecue sauce, which contained mushrooms.’
- ‘What was that delicious smell, at once tangy and spicy and somehow very Italian?’
- ‘One of my favorite ginger uses is in this tangy salad dressing that's a cinch to make.’
- ‘She could feel the wind blowing against her neck and smell the tangy scent of the ocean drifting on the breeze.’
- ‘This sort of starter is nearly always a success, with plenty of tangy flavours to whet the appetite.’
- ‘I loaded a couple up with sweet and tangy beetroot salad, and suggested to a waiter that this must be a typical Finnish combination.’
- ‘My salad was a taste explosion, with the tangy blue cheese, rich ham and tasty peppers fighting for attention.’
- ‘Master chefs have their hands full preparing a variety of delectable dishes with zany flavours and tangy tastes.’
- ‘As the dish is rich, I find it needs a tangy green salad to accompany it.’
- ‘Made from a Jamaican herb, the red juice was both tangy and a little sour.’
- ‘The lamb in this dish is cooked tender inside and a bit crispy outside and the sauce is tangy without being too spicy.’
- ‘The company's executive chef suggests anchoring your lunch with this tangy salad.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.