One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pair of briefs consisting of small panels connected by strings at the sides.‘tanga briefs’
- ‘In the mists of time, some wise man called together the tribe and said, ‘Look, in a few thousand years, strange pale men will arrive wearing tanga briefs, just don't have anything to do with them.’’
- ‘This stylish white tanga is made from super soft cotton eyelet fabric making this incredibly comfortable.’
- ‘Fashion and pinups aside, the breakout of tangas on real beaches is often attributed to Brazilians, who are also credited with the origin of the word, occasionally also spelled tunga, tonga.’
- ‘This marvellous creation is worked in precious two-tone variegated lace, and is accompanied by a tanga panty and a push-up bra with latticed straps.’
- ‘According to the latter, if you want to do it the Brazilian way, guys should be sporting nothing but a sunga, a tiny piece of square Lycra, and ladies need to invest in a tanga, a minuscule bikini.’
- ‘Eyewitnesses claim to have seen ‘a beautiful woman with wild golden-streaked chestnut-colored hair wearing a golden tanga with little silver stars embroidered beneath the waistband.’’
Early 20th century (denoting a loincloth worn by indigenous peoples in tropical America): from Portuguese, ultimately of Bantu origin. The current sense dates from the 1970s.
One of the principal ports of Tanzania, situated in the north-east of the country on the Indian Ocean; population 240,000 (est. 2009).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.