Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small brownish-black buffalo similar to the anoa, found only on Mindoro in the Philippines.
- ‘‘Water buffalo’ is a general term for these bovids at the waterside including Africans, Asians or tamaraus.’
- ‘In addition to bison, Bovini include the African Cape buffalo, the wild Indian buffalo, the domesticated water buffalo, the dwarf water buffalo (also know as the anoa or Celebes ox), the tamarau of the Philippines, and all true cattle.’
- ‘Mud wallowing is a frequent activity, and most tamarau are found in close proximity to water.’
- ‘According to the ‘Red Data Book’, the tamarau is one of the rarest mammals in the world.’
- ‘The Asian buffalo is classified as Bubalus bubalis, the tamarau as Bubalus mindorensis.’
Late 19th century: from Tagalog.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.