One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small brownish-black buffalo similar to the anoa, found only on Mindoro in the Philippines.
Bubalus mindorensis, family Bovidae
- ‘Mud wallowing is a frequent activity, and most tamarau are found in close proximity to water.’
- ‘‘Water buffalo’ is a general term for these bovids at the waterside including Africans, Asians or tamaraus.’
- ‘The Asian buffalo is classified as Bubalus bubalis, the tamarau as Bubalus mindorensis.’
- ‘According to the ‘Red Data Book’, the tamarau is one of the rarest mammals in the world.’
- ‘In addition to bison, Bovini include the African Cape buffalo, the wild Indian buffalo, the domesticated water buffalo, the dwarf water buffalo (also know as the anoa or Celebes ox), the tamarau of the Philippines, and all true cattle.’
Late 19th century: from Tagalog.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.