One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The body of Jewish civil and ceremonial law and legend comprising the Mishnah and the Gemara. There are two versions of the Talmud: the Babylonian Talmud (which dates from the 5th century AD but includes earlier material) and the earlier Palestinian or Jerusalem Talmud.
- ‘The world of the Talmud is one of razor-sharp analysis.’
- ‘Keep in mind, however, the Talmud says, that humiliating somebody publicly is tantamount to murder.’
- ‘These are not the words of the Talmud quoted here.’
- ‘The Talmud was clearly less concerned with theological correctness than we are today.’
- ‘The Talmud teaches that the Torah speaks in the language of man.’
- ‘But the Talmud in its own way is just as radical in its reinterpretation of Scripture as is the New Testament.’
- ‘Later, the Babylonian Talmud was compiled, which was thought to be superior to its predecessor.’
- ‘This can be illustrated by a teaching in the Talmud about the secret to marital harmony.’
- ‘Mendel explains how the music is not noise, how the lyrics have actual meaning and even apply to the Talmud.’
- ‘The obligation to give workers fair warning of their deficiencies is mentioned in the Talmud.’
- ‘The Talmud tells of a disagreement in the Sanhedrin (the Jewish Supreme Court) over a point of law.’
- ‘This mentality is already revealed in numerous passages of the Talmud.’
- ‘Samuel had an only daughter, who was learned in the Scriptures and the Talmud.’
- ‘To read the Talmud is to read a lot of arguments.’
- ‘Old men should sit in the sun, says the Talmud, to remember the simple feeling of well-being that physical enjoyment brings.’
- ‘In just seven and a half years, he said, you could learn the whole Talmud.’
- ‘His enlightened mind refused to condemn the Talmud without a most searching enquiry.’
- ‘Nevertheless, a wide variety of views on asceticism are found in the Talmud.’
- ‘Now, again, put yourself into the mindset of 1500 years ago, the time of the Talmud.’
- ‘According to the Talmud, during the First Temple period of about 410 years, there were only 18 High Priests.’
From late Hebrew talmūḏ ‘instruction’, from Hebrew lāmaḏ ‘learn’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.