One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discuss something frankly and straightforwardly.‘she promised to go talk turkey with the representatives’
confer, discuss, talk, talk things over, have a talk, exchange views, have discussions, converse, communicate, parleyView synonyms
- ‘What a cherished American tradition - to eat turkey and talk turkey at the same time.’
- ‘Both men checked their egos and preconceived notions and talked turkey.’
- ‘Because you genuinely like this family and have proven your friendship, you need to talk turkey to Jane, explaining what parents are for.’
- ‘At the hearing, it was the academics who talked turkey, and took on the real world.’
- ‘So, are you ready to talk turkey about your project?’
- ‘No venue has been set as yet for this coming Christmas, but the usual suspects will talk turkey at some point.’
- ‘It's easy to talk turkey on traditional strategies like building an extension to facilitate more manufacturing.’
- ‘As it happens, he was one of the few politicians willing to talk turkey about tax.’
- ‘It's been an opportunity to talk turkey about poetry.’
- ‘Can anyone really talk turkey about something as personal as a show they've written and performed?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.