One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Discuss something frankly and straightforwardly.‘she promised to go talk turkey with the representatives’
confer, discuss, talk, talk things over, have a talk, exchange views, have discussions, converse, communicate, parleyView synonyms
- ‘At the hearing, it was the academics who talked turkey, and took on the real world.’
- ‘So, are you ready to talk turkey about your project?’
- ‘What a cherished American tradition - to eat turkey and talk turkey at the same time.’
- ‘Both men checked their egos and preconceived notions and talked turkey.’
- ‘Can anyone really talk turkey about something as personal as a show they've written and performed?’
- ‘It's easy to talk turkey on traditional strategies like building an extension to facilitate more manufacturing.’
- ‘As it happens, he was one of the few politicians willing to talk turkey about tax.’
- ‘No venue has been set as yet for this coming Christmas, but the usual suspects will talk turkey at some point.’
- ‘It's been an opportunity to talk turkey about poetry.’
- ‘Because you genuinely like this family and have proven your friendship, you need to talk turkey to Jane, explaining what parents are for.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.