Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
noun & adjective
- another term for mon
- ‘Today, most of the Talaing are the descendants of the fugitives who fled from the Burmese.’
- ‘Myanmar's early history is mainly the story of the struggle of the Burmans against the Mons, or Talaings (of Mon-Khmer origin, now assimilated).’
- ‘His advisors duly selected a Talaing princeling who was afforded regal pomp and respect before he was ceremoniously sacrificed by being buried alive at the site where Sule Paya was to be constructed.’
- ‘It was the city of Talaing people who had ventured down the Thanlwin River and settled at this place.’
- ‘The Talaings were regarded as superior boatmen, but not seamen, and made extensive use of war canoes.’
- ‘The Burmans refer to the Mon as Talaing, a term attributed with various meanings and origins, but the general consensus is that it has acquired, if it did not originally have, pejorative overtones.’
- ‘Perhaps founded in 573 by the Mon people, the community became the capital of the powerful Talaing Kingdom in the 14th century.’
- ‘He was ruler of Suvannabhumi and ruled over the Talaings.’
- ‘Pegu itself is said to have been founded by two Mon princes in 573, as the first capital of Talaings.’
- ‘The term Talaing only had currency in Burma; among the Siamese and others, Western linguists included, the word Mon is generally used.’
The name in Burmese.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.