One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take over as pacesetter in a race.
- ‘Distinction, the 11-4 favourite, takes up the running with about half a mile to go and soon has the field strung out.’
- ‘As the 14-strong field came into the home straight, North Light took up the running with Snow Ridge also making a move.’
- ‘Meanwhile, White was starting to lose ground as Tootell and Purdie took up the running at the front of the race.’
- ‘After an even break, Pinkerton takes up the running.’
- ‘The seven-year-old was always in the lead group and took up the running at Aintree when Ardent Scout unseated his rider at the ninth of the 22 fences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.