One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Take over as pacesetter in a race.
- ‘Distinction, the 11-4 favourite, takes up the running with about half a mile to go and soon has the field strung out.’
- ‘As the 14-strong field came into the home straight, North Light took up the running with Snow Ridge also making a move.’
- ‘Meanwhile, White was starting to lose ground as Tootell and Purdie took up the running at the front of the race.’
- ‘The seven-year-old was always in the lead group and took up the running at Aintree when Ardent Scout unseated his rider at the ninth of the 22 fences.’
- ‘After an even break, Pinkerton takes up the running.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.