One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a pitcher) have a turn at pitching.‘he took the mound yesterday for the first in time in over a year’
- ‘When Clemens took the mound in Game Four, he became the third oldest pitcher ever to start a World Series game.’
- ‘In one game against the St. Louis Cardinals, he took the mound in the first inning and went the rest of the way for a victory.’
- ‘On July 9, 1948, baseball's oldest rookie took the mound for the Cleveland Indians.’
- ‘Yesterday, two Cuban pitchers took the mound in front of Major League scouts in an attempt to attract a large offer.’
- ‘When he takes the mound, the team behind him knows they have a chance, and that's probably the biggest compliment you can give somebody.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.