One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
usually with negative Accept an insult, setback, or rebuke without protest.‘she's laughing at me for being weak and I'm not going to take it lying down any longer’
- ‘At least she isn't taking his attacks lying down.’
- ‘Right now, some critical favorites are on the endangered list, and fans are not taking it lying down.’
- ‘The visitors refused to take this setback lying down and almost immediately forced a corner.’
- ‘Neither the newspaper nor the rest of the press took it lying down.’
- ‘The magazine isn't taking her comments lying down, however.’
- ‘Congressional wildlife supporters didn't take the ambush lying down.’
- ‘He explained the college was not taking the news lying down and was working hard to repackage courses, such as offering alternatives that may not have an exam at the end.’
- ‘Fortunately, companies are not taking it lying down.’
- ‘This was never the kind of game where players took things lying down.’
- ‘But, at least along the province's South Shore, folks are not taking things lying down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.