One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Occur.‘people laid flowers at the spot where the crash took place’
happen, occur, come about, transpire, crop up, materialize, arise, chance, fall outView synonyms
- ‘Several peace marches have already taken place at the site and a peace camp has been set up nearby.’
- ‘Initial talks have already taken place and Joy is confident the case for change can be successfully argued.’
- ‘One meeting has already taken place and we expect the programme to run over the next two years.’
- ‘The surface was ready to play on so quickly because the settlement of the soil had already taken place in Yorkshire.’
- ‘Much of what economists do is analyse the statistics of what has already taken place.’
- ‘Two meetings of the steering group behind the proposal have already taken place.’
- ‘So many changes to the town and surrounding lands have already taken place and yet there are many more to come.’
- ‘A small degree of fund-raising has already taken place but there will be more to come.’
- ‘Discussions have already taken place about the merger since both schools have been hit by falling numbers.’
- ‘A general consultation has already taken place and the next stage will be a series of public meetings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.