One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Follow the example or advice of.‘McGee did not move and Julia took her cue from him’
- ‘Everyone else in the cast takes their cue from and builds off this edge.’
- ‘In the 1960s and 70s we took our cue from what was happening worldwide.’
- ‘Until then try to take your cues from how he behaves both publicly and privately, and don't be afraid to ask questions!’
- ‘As with the overall design of the house, details take their cues from the barn.’
- ‘I took a cue from her and began serving the customers' breakfast.’
- ‘Yeah, and most people don't take their cue from that.’
- ‘If I understand it aright, objective calculation and measurement take their cue from - and ultimately serve - circumspective involvement in the world.’
- ‘The conductor of the symphony orchestra does not control the activity of the players, but they do follow the score and take their cue from the conductor's directions.’
- ‘These influences pale in significance however, when compared to the massive list of performers who took their cues from him.’
- ‘He takes his cue from what they are doing, and I stand in awe of how often he is correct in forecasting what they will do.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.