Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A wheel supporting the tail of an aircraft while on the ground.
- ‘On one mission he flew so low over a German warship that he came back with the ship's aerial trailing from his tailwheel.’
- ‘Finally, the Maule MX7180A is one of Maule's myriad of handmade models, available in your choice of nosegear or tailwheel.’
- ‘The tailwheel is steerable, and an extra stab on either brake pedal will kick the rear wheel into full caster, allowing easy maneuvering in tight spaces.’
- ‘As the tailwheel lifts during the takeoff run, gyroscopic precession tries to turn the plane left of centerline.’
- ‘In the pull, I heard a ‘thump’ and concluded that the tailwheel must have gone to full extension and hit a lower stop as a result of the ascent rate.’
- ‘While some purists might insist a classic airplane needs to fly in front of a tailwheel or behind a round engine, we chose the simpler definition that it merely be at least 40 years old.’
- ‘After doing a quick check on the fit of the skin panels, TAF focus went to the additional brackets for the tailwheel, and the cut-outs for the single piece horizontal stabilizer.’
- ‘You're looking for relative movement between the fuselage and the spring, between the spring and the tailwheel, and between the tailwheel and the wheel itself.’
- ‘She had recognized the stuck-pin signal from the plane captain and had released the parking brake (an H - 3 trick for unsticking a stuck pin) and had also complied with my call for unlocking the aircraft tailwheel.’
- ‘In every sense, it's everything that made the Skyhawk the world's most popular airplane - except with the advantages of a tailwheel.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.