One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rear section of the exhaust pipe of a motor vehicle.
- ‘Deep side sill extensions lead to a new rear bumper incorporating twin trapezoidal exhaust tailpipes.’
- ‘When it's cool, when you first start your car or truck in the morning, exhaust gases go out the tailpipe unburned.’
- ‘In both cities and forests, alkyl nitrates are made when nitrogen oxides, which are produced by automobile tailpipes and smokestacks, react with hydrocarbon molecules.’
- ‘Normally CO flows from the engine through the tailpipe to the rear of the car where it is dispersed into the atmosphere.’
- ‘Around the back, you'll find a deeper bumper with a chromed tailpipe poking through off-centre, a boot spoiler and some discreet badging.’
- ‘Motors idled, and tailpipes puffed and nobody was going anywhere.’
- ‘Some of the subtle alterations include a tailpipe covered by the rear air dam as well as enlarged air intakes to provide more air for the intercooler.’
- ‘Styling is clean, has sporty overtones with its wedge profile, chiseled belt line and twin chrome exhaust tailpipes.’
- ‘Apart from the larger wheels and badging, the Turbo S also wears a subtly redesigned front air grille and oval, rather than rectangular section tailpipes.’
- ‘I rounded a turn, and was unsurprised to see a car off the road, hazards blinking, exhaust funneling out the tailpipe like an angry beast.’
- ‘Twin exhaust tailpipes, one at either side of the car, are the only giveaway that a 3.0 litre V6 engine lies under the bonnet.’
- ‘Dual exhaust system has two tailpipes, which allows the engine to exhaust more freely, thereby lowering the back pressure which is inherent in an exhaust system.’
- ‘Similarly, by lowering the air pollution from smokestacks and tailpipes, carbon taxes also reduce respiratory illnesses such as asthma and emphysema, and health care costs - a triple dividend.’
- ‘The fuel cell cars featured in this issue hold out the tantalizing prospect of eliminating the automotive tailpipe, replacing smog-causing emissions with the drip of clean water.’
- ‘Its twin chamber exhaust system is made of stainless steel all the way to the silencers, before exhaust emissions leave the car through the four tailpipes.’
- ‘It's late afternoon Friday, and you are stopped at the corner of Weber and Northfield behind a silent silver Honda with no exhaust coming from its tailpipe.’
- ‘The nutrients and toxic substances running off our cities, streets, yards, and fields and emanating from our smokestacks and tailpipes present the greatest pollution threat to coastal waters.’
- ‘It turns out that all the carbon dioxide and pollutants we are pumping out through our tailpipes and smokestacks doesn't dissipate as readily as had been previously thought.’
- ‘Nevertheless, automobile tailpipes still produce a quarter of the carbon dioxide generated annually in the U.S.’
- ‘Exhaust coming out of the tailpipes of today's cars is cleaner than that of cars a generation ago - due in large part to the catalytic converter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.