Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female tailor.‘Jane had started working as a tailoress to boost her family's income’
garment maker, seamstress, needlewomanView synonyms
- ‘Jean Eaton, 87, a former tailoress, was a resident at the Wemyss Lodge Nursing Home in Ermin Street, Swindon, for five years before she died.’
- ‘Susan worked as a tailoress, as did her older sister, Florence, while their brother, Benjamin, joined George at the docks.’
- ‘Hoduet neglected his work, but his wife gamely toiled as a tailoress after their child's birth.’
- ‘In January 1889 she formed the Liverpool Workwomen's Society, comprising bookfolders, tailoresses, and cigarmakers.’
- ‘Marian's background as a tailoress differed from that of the middle-class, educated women who were prominent in socialist politics.’
- ‘She assisted in disputes among female textile workers and took a leading role in the lengthy Leeds tailoresses ' strike of 1889.’
- ‘In September 1926 Joe married Gertrude Shepperd who was working as a tailoress for the Akaroa tailor, Mr Morkcom.’
- ‘During the war she became an apprentice tailoress at the shop.’
- ‘But at 15, she was apprenticed to a tailoress Miss Fitzgibbon and there, over five years, she served her time and learned her craft.’
- ‘Ellen Smith lived with her aunt, and in the census of 1871 is described as a tailoress.’
- ‘My mother was a tailoress and my father worked for Johnny Walker whisky, so singing was not really in the family.’
- ‘The first female union in the Land of Oz was formed when female tailoresses tossed their collective thimbles out the window and created The Victorian Tailoresses Union.’
- ‘It was during his time at Laverton that David met Margaret, a tailoress in the WRAAF.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.