One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A decline or gradual reduction in something.‘a tail-off in customers’
- ‘An update on second-quarter trading is due from Carphone Warehouse, where analysts are predicting a slight tail-off in the strong levels of growth seen in the first three months, and interim numbers are due from Game.’
- ‘The match distorted the normal Saturday trading pattern for city centre shopkeepers, with a busy morning's trade prior to the game but a quiet tail-off in the afternoon's business as shoppers got into party mood.’
- ‘Once the PS3 is announced, Sony may also feel the PS2 will need refreshment in order to counter a potential tail-off in sales as consumers prepare to wait for the new machine.’
- ‘However, the company's sales do appear to be slowing down, largely due to a tail-off of interest in the iMac, the very machine that has driven Apple's recovery over the past couple of years.’
- ‘Howell's early season results were much as expected, but his mid - season tail-off had many wondering if the hype was deserved.’
- ‘The weekly John Lewis data revealed a sales tail-off towards the end of January and the official retail sales figures for January due out this Thursday are expected to show a 0.5% monthly drop.’
- ‘Of greater concern will be the sudden tail-off in money supply growth.’
- ‘The tail-off was expected since punters get a bit edgy as to whether their gifts will be delivered in time for the big day.’
- ‘Despite a sudden personality tail-off in his 20s after a severe fall, Wesley recovered in his 30s and composed his B flat major Symphony inspired by Haydn.’
- ‘When Gloucester, one of the most community-oriented rugby clubs, stopped insisting that their players drink in the public bar, they found a significant tail-off in takings and a torrent of abuse from disgruntled supporters.’
- ‘In most places outside the cities, there seems to have been a tail-off in investor activity, largely due to the slowdown in rental income.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.