Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular A mode of linguistic analysis based on identifying the function of each grammatical position in the sentence or phrase and the class of words by which it can be filled.
- ‘Tagmemics recognizes that two viewers will see a linguistic unit or a behavioral event differently, according to their individual backgrounds.’
- ‘A million (it seems!) years ago when I was teaching Freshman Comp, one of the ‘invention’ processes I taught my students was something that in those days was stuffily called tagmemics and now is much more accessibly referred to as particle-wave-field.’
- ‘The most intriguing application of tagmemics to a composition course is the implementation of it as an entry point for understanding a text.’
- ‘In the view of tagmemics, any linguistic data can be viewed in one of three ways: statically, dynamically, or relationally (sometimes called after physics: particle, wave, or field).’
- ‘The different types of prewriting that we will explore here are freewriting, brainstorming, clustering, tagmemics, and journalistic technique.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.