Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An organ such as an antenna that is used for testing things by touch.
antenna, tentacle, hornView synonyms
- ‘After reaching the maximum point in its excursion, the tactor withdrew from contact.’
- ‘it has been used as an argument that the antennae are primarily tactors.’
- ‘The insects carry the antennae directed forwards, and sometimes use them as tactors.’
- ‘Tactors are capable of a much more varied perception than we should on the first thought be inclined to suppose.’
- ‘Cuvier regards them as a kind of tactors, and they also present some analogy to antenna.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, from tangere to touch.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.