One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organ such as an antenna that is used for testing things by touch.
antenna, tentacle, hornView synonyms
- ‘Cuvier regards them as a kind of tactors, and they also present some analogy to antenna.’
- ‘it has been used as an argument that the antennae are primarily tactors.’
- ‘After reaching the maximum point in its excursion, the tactor withdrew from contact.’
- ‘The insects carry the antennae directed forwards, and sometimes use them as tactors.’
- ‘Tactors are capable of a much more varied perception than we should on the first thought be inclined to suppose.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, from tangere ‘to touch’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.