One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An abnormally rapid heart rate.
- ‘Rapid heartbeat turns into tachycardia and a heart attack is a myocardial infarction.’
- ‘Caffeine may also have a direct effect on the cardiovascular system of the fetus leading to tachycardia and other arrhythmias.’
- ‘However, a patient activated electrocardiograph showed ventricular tachycardia during a symptomatic spell.’
- ‘Other adverse physical effects include dry mouth, blurred vision, palpitations, tachycardia, and postural hypotension.’
- ‘Early clinical signs include tachycardia and tachypnoea, mild pyrexia, basal crepitations, and dependent oedema.’
Late 19th century: from tachy- ‘swift’ + Greek kardia ‘heart’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.