Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An occasion when participants sell unwanted possessions from tables, especially one where at least some of the proceeds go to charity.
- ‘I should at least get marks for effort: I have gone to coffee mornings, decorated boxes with gold paint and plastic jewels and operated the tea-urn at a tabletop sale.’
- ‘On Saturday seven mums held a chocolate tombola at a tabletop sale in the Neeld Hall in Chippenham and raised £235.’
- ‘A childbirth charity is raising its profile in Warminster after holding its first tabletop sale on Saturday.’
- ‘I have a table booked at the Tabletop sale in the village on Sunday, so that will be another test to see if there's a market for my kind of thing.’
- ‘The raffle will be taking place as part of the tabletop sale on Saturday, from 1pm until 3pm.’
- ‘The group also plans to start making better use of the grassed area around the pool with evening yoga and Tai Chi classes, tabletop sales and other events.’
- ‘People who want to have a stall at the tabletop sale should arrive at 11am and it will cost £1 per table.’
- ‘The association has already netted more than 600 from a tabletop sale and a Body Shop party.’
- ‘In the last four weeks alone there has been a New Year party, a Christmas quiz night, Boxing Day skittles, bingo and grand raffle, tabletop sale, country and western party and a family fancy dress disco.’
- ‘And anyone who has anything to donate to the tabletop sale can contact me before the fête, or can take it along on the day.’
- ‘They are holding a tabletop sale on December 13, at Bradley's Methodist Chapel and they are doing a sponsored swim, in January.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.