One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person's companion at a meal.
- ‘I did not win any but a tablemate and freind of mine did win a $25 gift certificate to Coldwater Creek, so she said she was going shopping tomorrow.’
- ‘My immediate left-hand tablemate is ten years older than me, and looks like he had a lot of late nights in the eighties.’
- ‘We went for our continental breakfast around this time, and had no conversation (mercifully) with our table mates.’
- ‘Attorney General Eric Holder patted his pocket as he arrived and said his kids had prepped him with all sorts of questions for tablemate Steven Spielberg.’
- ‘My tablemate eyes the approaching platter, carried by a sweating young Jerusalem hotel chef and his helper.’
- ‘Our table mates were world travelers, having taken trains in Europe but this was their first ride on Amtrak.’
- ‘We're told the governor had his table mates in stitches doing an impression.’
- ‘On a return visit, my 4-year-old tablemate commented, "That looks dangerous" as spatulas and cleavers were tossed in the air.’
- ‘His table mate is also in full phone mode, swapping derogatory stories about Client X with a colleague at the other end of the call.’
- ‘Their table mates belong to Slow Food Pittsburgh, which is dedicated to good eating.’
- ‘Three minutes later, our second table mate left, giving up on his dessert.’
- ‘He was practically yelling his opinions to his table mates and shattering the air with his laughter.’
- ‘I lifted mine to read which state's flower I'd been given, urging my table mates to do the same.’
- ‘My tablemate, Liz left some of her rice, knowing that more good things were to come.’
- ‘One of the woman's table mates had returned from a trip to the front of the restaurant bearing a big colorful carving of a parrot on a perch.’
- ‘We quickly found common ground with our table mates and shared a wonderful Voignier made by John Schafer, one of our tablemates.’
- ‘It however set one of table mates to engage in the unusual act of thinking.’
- ‘Now we feel a little more tolerant of our table mate than we did when we first heard him. "’
- ‘Full but not defeated, my Rai-Televideo tablemate gets in a last jab before we hand in our marks.’
- ‘These explanations were, despite my best and more detailed efforts, met by indifference, glazed eyes and near hostility by my table mates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.