One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person's companion at a meal.
- ‘I lifted mine to read which state's flower I'd been given, urging my table mates to do the same.’
- ‘Three minutes later, our second table mate left, giving up on his dessert.’
- ‘Full but not defeated, my Rai-Televideo tablemate gets in a last jab before we hand in our marks.’
- ‘These explanations were, despite my best and more detailed efforts, met by indifference, glazed eyes and near hostility by my table mates.’
- ‘My tablemate eyes the approaching platter, carried by a sweating young Jerusalem hotel chef and his helper.’
- ‘My tablemate, Liz left some of her rice, knowing that more good things were to come.’
- ‘It however set one of table mates to engage in the unusual act of thinking.’
- ‘Their table mates belong to Slow Food Pittsburgh, which is dedicated to good eating.’
- ‘Attorney General Eric Holder patted his pocket as he arrived and said his kids had prepped him with all sorts of questions for tablemate Steven Spielberg.’
- ‘We're told the governor had his table mates in stitches doing an impression.’
- ‘I did not win any but a tablemate and freind of mine did win a $25 gift certificate to Coldwater Creek, so she said she was going shopping tomorrow.’
- ‘His table mate is also in full phone mode, swapping derogatory stories about Client X with a colleague at the other end of the call.’
- ‘We quickly found common ground with our table mates and shared a wonderful Voignier made by John Schafer, one of our tablemates.’
- ‘Now we feel a little more tolerant of our table mate than we did when we first heard him. "’
- ‘We went for our continental breakfast around this time, and had no conversation (mercifully) with our table mates.’
- ‘One of the woman's table mates had returned from a trip to the front of the restaurant bearing a big colorful carving of a parrot on a perch.’
- ‘My immediate left-hand tablemate is ten years older than me, and looks like he had a lot of late nights in the eighties.’
- ‘Our table mates were world travelers, having taken trains in Europe but this was their first ride on Amtrak.’
- ‘He was practically yelling his opinions to his table mates and shattering the air with his laughter.’
- ‘On a return visit, my 4-year-old tablemate commented, "That looks dangerous" as spatulas and cleavers were tossed in the air.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.