One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Informal conversation carried on at meals.‘the table talk came round to another very special event’
- ‘You can only imagine the table talk this man grew up with.’
- ‘I can't remember the last time I sat down to a meal out with friends and diets did not end up becoming the subject of our table talk.’
- ‘The table talk moves on to other more congenial topic.’
- ‘Here, the custom of the house dictates that table talk itself turns always and everywhere to dinner.’
- ‘There was a moment of near-silence, like a lull in table talk.’
- ‘The details of my accusation would be table talk from one end of this country to the other.’
- ‘So I sat and I watched and I listened to the table talk.’
- ‘However, the recent meeting between Chinese President Jiang Zemin and US President George W. Bush last month had been regarded as a likely topic for table talk.’
- ‘Gerald relented and the rest of the breakfast table talk was about more normal, every day things.’
- ‘Certainly there was bound to be some table talk on exactly that topic in Scotland this week.’
- ‘Discuss what is appropriate table talk and agree to keep the game commentary within these boundaries.’
- ‘The table talk gets interesting and people start to make deals.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.